I. PRIMARY FUNCTION:
Responsible for developing, monitoring, and/or delivery of all health-related services according to the policies and procedures of and within the standard of the individual state Nurse Practice Act (or equivalent), ICF/DD and individual state standards and policies concerning employee health services.
II. RESPONSIBLE TO: Administrator
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: RN/LPN
1. Develops, monitors, and/or implements plans and systems for all healthcare-related procedures to maintain optimal healthcare for individuals to remain in compliance with ICF/MR guidelines.
2. Provides leadership and supervision to all levels of assigned staff. Actively monitors the quality of nursing services to individuals.
3. Provides technical assistance to Nurses and Administrator as needed.
4. Keeps actively involved in the day-to-day operation of the department to be aware of potential problem areas and to plan courses of corrective action.
5. Maintains an adequate staffing level at all times to ensure safety and quality nursing services to individuals is provided.
6. Participates in admission/discharge committee (planning and evaluation) for individuals.
7. Participates in development of the Individual Program Plan for all individuals.
8. Coordinates and schedules all required assessments identified in the Physical Health section of the policy manual.
9. Ensures ongoing healthcare maintenance of the individuals to include scheduled doctor’s visits and services screened for all health-related areas.
10. Maintains contact with the Medical Director reporting and following up with health issues, laboratory work, x-rays, hospital admissions, and discharges, and consultant recommendations.
11. Establishes and collects data to chair Infection Control Committee, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, 30/60 Day Drug Review, and 30 Day Psychotropic Drug Review Committee.
12. Schedules nursing staff coverage for all shifts including active participation, if necessary, to maintain adequate coverage.
13. Assures staff performance reviews are done in a fair and timely manner and accurately reflect areas where additional training is needed to facilitate quality care for individuals and employee career advancement.
14. Takes appropriate progressive disciplinary action with employees as the situation dictates, to consistently and fairly identify problems and causes of action.
15. Acts as role model by maintaining & demonstrating professional in-service competencies. Actively promotes and contributes to employee in-service training to facilitate the delivery of exceptional programs and employee involvement.
16. Develops and ensures monitoring of individuals’ personal hygiene, self-administration of medication, health-related programs and sex education training.
17. Maintains current accurate relevant manual for healthcare procedures, pharmacy, infection control, and all healthcare policies.
18. Schedules and teaches or delegates to other Health Services staff, training in CPR/Heimlich Maneuver, signs and symptoms of illness, seizures and infection control/communicable diseases and medication side effects.
19. Provides nursing assessment for staff injuries in the role of a “First Responder” as outlined in the Employee Injury policy.
20. Provides written plan for infection control for individuals and employees.
21. Assures supplies and equipment are available to provide nursing care for individuals.
22. Operates the department within established budgetary guidelines.
23. Assures implementation of internal nursing service quality assurance system.
24. Provides all aspects of internal employee health services which includes employment physical assessments, annual PPD’s, Hepatitis B vaccine, employee illnesses and injury assessment.
25. Provides nursing assessment for staff injuries in the role of “first responder” as outlined in the Employee injury Policy.
26. Monitors medication administration system to ensure continuity and quality.
27. Understands and adheres to all policies and procedures.
28. Reports instances of abuse in accordance with specified guidelines in the abuse policy.
29. Attends scheduled training and in-service sessions and demonstrates learned competencies.
30. Demonstrates ability to work independently and as a team member and conducts self in a professional manner that promotes staff cohesiveness.
31. Performs other duties as assigned.
Current and valid state RN license to practice nursing in the state employed. Minimum of 1-year nursing experience, preferably in an MR/DD setting. Previous supervisory experience desired.
Baton Rouge, La, Louisiana , 70816
Sep 30th, 2021