Catholic Charities St. Vincent's School for Boys is a licensed Short-Term Residential Therapeutic Program (STRTP) that serves boys in the child welfare system whose behaviors and family situations have kept them from achieving successful outcomes and permanency. The mission of St. Vincent's is to interrupt the multiple placements and serially disrupted attachments that characterize the lives of these children and youth. St. Vincent's provides residential treatment and mental health services to approximately 30 boys, ages 7-18, who are referred from county agencies throughout Northern California. The boys live in a rural setting in four residential houses which are staffed 24 hours a day, on the St. Vincent’s campus in San Rafael. A combination of therapeutic, educational, equestrian, and recreational programs address the multiple and diverse needs of each child.
The Nurse is responsible to the Clinical Director of St. Vincent's School for Boys for the planning, coordination and implementation of the comprehensive health care program. The Nurse works closely with the psychiatrist, nurse practitioner and medical doctors to provide services to the residents. They are responsible for the acquisition, dissemination and documentation of medication and other treatments as ordered by physicians, and is responsible for the training of child care staff in these matters. This position is 40 hours/week and will have flexibility to set their schedule with the Clinical Director.
• Records incoming medication and examines new residents upon admission.
• Ensures that residents receive timely medical and dental exams upon admission, in accordance with licensing guidelines.
• Assesses sick or injured residents for the need to see a physician and arranges for medical appointments when necessary, documenting in the nursing record.
• Instructs staff in the proper administration of prescribed treatments. Advises staff about the need for health care education.
• Provides TB tests to staff as requested, and provides records of tests to HR Department.
• Provides TB tests to residents.
MEDICATION and MEDICAL SUPPLIES:
• Registers new medications, performs weekly counts, disposes of outdated or extra medication, and orders new medication.
• Disseminates information regarding medication side effects, and consults with staff about such effects.
• Orders medical supplies as needed.
• Ensures that medication and other medical supplies are stored properly and accounted for regularly.
• Facilitates psychiatrist's orders.
• Monitors parental and court consents to administer medication.
• Assist clients to administer their medications.
• Audits client medication records.
• Prepares health care summaries for each resident.
• Documents medical/dental and other health care specialists' consultation notes.
• Prepares residents' medical histories upon admission.
• Advises administration and pediatrician of any "red flags" such as new bruises, contagious conditions or significant medical histories of inter-current problems.
• Prepares discharge reports.
• Maintains inventory and safety of the medicine cabinets in the Health Care Center and in the houses.
• Checks house medication logs and other records for accuracy. Records orders from physicians in house medication logs.
• Reviews medication incident reports and routes them properly.
EDUCATION and LIAISON:
• Provides staff training for new employees about assisting clients to administer medication, basic health care procedures and use of first aid (not to substitute for formal first aid training).
• Provides ongoing support to the childcare staff about health care issues.
• Provides a liaison to the CHDP nurse, the Public Health Department, the pediatrician and to other community agencies regarding health care problems for these residents.
• Must be a registered nurse in the state of CA
• Experience with troubled children
• Experience with medication monitoring and quality assurance methods
• Experience working with other health care professionals
• Ability to write & communicate clearly
San Rafael, California , 94903
Catholic Charities St. Vincent's School for Boys
Sep 8th, 2021