Elmhurst Hospital Center (EHC) is the major tertiary care provider in the borough of Queens. The hospital is comprised of 545 beds and is a Level I Trauma Center, an Emergency Heart Care Station and a 911 Receiving Hospital. It is the premiere health care organization for key areas such as Surgery, Cardiology, Women's Health, Pediatrics, Rehabilitation Medicine, Renal and Mental Health Services.
Purpose of Position: The Emergency Department Accountable Care Manager serves as the driver of a collaborative, interdisciplinary process which coordinates, and reviews health care services through an episode of illness to meet the individual needs of patients in order to improve the quality of care, reduce cost of care and enhance patient satisfaction. The Care Manager accomplishes this by acting as a resource and guide for physicians, the care delivery team, patients, and their families throughout the continuum of available health services by effectively reviewing and recommending integration of direct clinical and supporting services in order to achieve and maintain optimal patient health status and expectations
Examples of Typical Tasks:
1. Reviews the medical records of patients admitted or with potential for admission to an inpatient setting for appropriateness and medical necessity based on nationally recognized criteria.
2. Coordinates and/or participates in multidisciplinary rounds; reviews plan of care; and discusses estimated length of stay, need for continued hospitalization and appropriateness of resources utilization, consultations, treatment plan and discharge plan. Completes Patient Review Instrument (PRI) as applicable.
3. Collaborates and consults with physicians and other health care professionals to reach an efficient pathway of care taking and to identify, eliminate, and implement solutions to barriers, and collects and analyzes related data, as needed.
4. Ensures the adequacy of the documentation for supporting the severity of illness by working with Physicians and Physician Advisor while reviewing EPIC notes concurrently.
5. The ED ACM reviews documentation / justification for inpatient level of care and enters into the ACM/EPIC system. Collaborates with the ED Physician Advisor and with inpatient Case Manager as necessary for third party certification of the inpatient admission.
6. Plans and implements strategies to reduce length of stay, reduce resource consumption, and achieve positive client/patient outcomes. May coordinate the implementation of facility initiatives designed to increase revenue. Maintains all related records and documentation.
7. Initiates discharge planning by assessing client/patient and family needs, including but not limited to identifying non-medical psychosocial needs and post discharge medical needs. Informs patient and family of discharge planning options based on diagnosis, prognoses, resources and preferences related to home care services.
8. Coordinates and facilitates timely implementation of discharge plans for patient; assures timely completion of discharge, transfer and referral forms, prescriptions, and discharge orders; arranges follow-up care, as appropriate.
9. Performs or coordinates the post Emergency Department discharge phone call to patient and health care providers to facilitate/coordinate and verify that successful linkage to care occurred.
1. Valid New York State license and current registration to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse issued by the New York State Education Department (NYSED); and
2. A Baccalaureate degree in Nursing or related health field from an accredited college or university; and
3. Two (2) years of experience as a Registered Professional Nurse.
Ability to work a Tour 3 shift is required (Evenings/Nights/Weekends/Holidays).
New York, New York , 10041
NYC Health + Hospitals
Jan 14th, 2021