Bassett Healthcare Network
Occupational Health Nurse (Monday - Friday; 8am - 4pm)
The Occupational Health Nurse will effectively coordinate the Occupational Health Program which includes, but is not limited to conducting timely pre employment/post offer health assessments, annual health assessments, annual fit testing, implementing and maintaining our Safe Patient Handling Program, lead wellness initiatives, investigate Workers Compensation incidents and facilitate the care and return to work for all cases, maintain up to date Occupational Health policies and procedures and communicate as needed to staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
As measured by direct or indirect supervisory observation and/or co-worker feedback, the successful incumbent demonstrates skills in the following duties and responsibilities. Examples of these include, but are not limited to the following:
• Performs a plan of care for patients using the nursing process of assessment, diagnosis, outcome identification, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care.
• Designs, develops and delivers new initiatives, policies and procedures on health education/promotion and accident/disease prevention.
• Delivers health and safety training.
• Provides pre-employment post offer health assessments in a timely manner.
• Ensure annual Fit Testing and annual Health Assessments are performed in a timely manner.
• Lead annual influenza vaccination initiative.
• Maintains first-aid kits and vaccination supplies. Orders new supplies and destroys out-of-date items as necessary.
• Maintains accurate employee health records.
• Prepares accident reports; conducts accident investigations and investigates the causes of common injuries.
• Provides an effective and early return to work and/or facilitates restoration of the employee's health to an optimal level of functioning through both work-related and non-work related case management. Coordinates with department managers, Human Resources, and other necessary staff.
• Provides first aid and medical assessments, and communicates safety concerns to appropriate managers.
• Assesses the work environment for potential health and safety problems.
• Keeps up to date with legal and professional changes associated with occupational health and safety.
• Ensure Occupational Health Program is compliant with necessary regulatory bodies.
• Maintain good communication with Human Resources and department managers.
• Participate in Environment of Care Committee and Safety Committee, trouble shoots need for environmental and industrial hygiene studies for potentially hazardous environments.
• Conducts training activities related to on-the-job safety and preventative health.
• Lead Safe Patient Handling Program.
• Facilitate OSHA Annual Reporting.
• Complete post exposure testing, coordinating necessary resources and appropriate follow up.
• Adheres to standards of practice as set forth in policy and guidelines to assure patient safety.
• Uses supplies and institutional resources in a financially responsible manner.
• Maintains an orderly, clean and safe work environment.
• Maintains appropriate, professional personal appearance, including but not limited to required attire such as uniforms and safety apparel.
• Assists in the training process of students and/or orientation of new personnel.
• Participates in staffing patterns that reflect variable demands in service.
• Demonstrates a positive attitude.
• Uses flexibility and innovation while problem solving.
• Demonstrates collaborative practice, support and respect for each team member.
• Participates in departmental / organizational committees.
• Demonstrates initiative in expanding and sharing knowledge.
• Participates in continued education through attendance and presentations at in-service sessions.
• Communicates with patients and coworkers while adhering always to hospital policies for the protection of the privacy of patient health information and confidentiality.
• Assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
• Communicates necessary information to supervisor or team leader in support of unit, departmental and facility standards and policies.