Supervises and evaluates the performance of nursing and clerical staff. Evaluates and provides comprehensive nursing care in a correctional setting while observing and maintaining the requirements of security.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintains a good working relationship with correctional personnel, nursing staff, contract providers, and outside provider agencies.
• Utilizes established corporate and correctional policies and procedures in making decisions.
• Responsible for staff scheduling and supervision including:
• Assisting management in recruiting, orienting, supervising and evaluating the performance of nursing and clerical staff.
• Staff Scheduling:
• Ensures adequate coverage on all shifts.
• Fills in as needed during periods of short staffing
• Monitors call-ins and use of overtime.
• Ensures the proper flow of relevant information (policies, procedures, in-service, problems, etc.) to supervisor and supervised personnel.
• Monitors and ensures strict staff compliance with all applicable pharmacy laws.
• Organizes daily activities and ensures adequate staffing for these activities.
• Maintains shift assignments.
• Reports any staff problems to management on a regular basis.
• Ensures adequate supplies and pharmaceuticals to meet the needs of the detainee/inmate population. Reports any over-usage, vendor problems, needs, recommendations and budgetary concerns to management.
• Ensures that detainees/inmates arriving at the facility are adequately oriented to services available and procedure for obtaining medical services.
• Ensures that all detainees/inmates assigned to work as medical orderlies are trained in the handling of contaminated waste and proper cleaning of contaminated surfaces. Monitors their compliance with instructions.
• Performs random audits of medical records, logs, sharps, narcotic counts, outside referrals and sick call, etc. Counsel employees or provide in-service for noted errors. All findings shall be submitted to the management for review and recommendations.
• Participates in quality assurance activities. Makes recommendations for monitoring needs and plans activities for correcting deficiencies. Reports problem areas in writing to management.
• Monitors the assignments, review of records, and care plans of the chronic disease clinics ensuring follow through per policies and procedures.
• Assists management in monitoring environmental sanitation, safety and health related issues by performing inspections. Generates recommendations based on inspections and review of other inspections to management for further management dissemination.
• Responds to informal grievances from inmates to management’s designee. Reports any grievance with potential liability to the management for his/her information and consideration of action.
• Monitors care of serious medical conditions with the potential for life threatening or liability issues for appropriate follow-through.
• Assumes on-call status for staff problems. Assumes on-call status in absence of direct management.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s or Bachelor's degree from a NLN (National League of Nurses) approved program; graduate of an accredited school of nursing required. Must have a current, unrestricted license to practice as Registered Nurse in the state the facility is located. Maintains a current copy of license on file at the facility at all times.
• Two (2) years of direct work experience preferred.
• Supervisory experience and competence in performance of the following services: crisis intervention, medical emergencies, physical assessment, medical nursing care, and psychiatric nursing care preferred.
• Must have the ability to work without direct, immediate supervision in performing nursing diagnosis, and be able provide appropriate follow through treatment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Golden Valley, Arizona , 86413
The GEO Group, Inc.
Feb 3rd, 2021