Friends Seminary seeks an experienced school nurse to serve students in grades K-12. The successful candidate will have a commitment to current practices in health services and also to working with children. The nurse reports to the Director of Support Services and the Academic Dean and also works closely with Division Heads, School Counselors, the Athletic Trainer, and the Health Education team. The nurse holds a key supportive role in the community, often forming relationships with children that go beyond the maintenance of their physical health. In addition to the strong organizational skills needed to maintain school health records, the nurse will need exceptional communication skills in order to effectively interface with students, parents, and teachers. This is a 10 month position.
● Promote and protect the optimal health and wellbeing of students and employees.
● Maintain, evaluate, and interpret cumulative health data to accommodate individual needs of students.
● Adhere to NYS immunization and communicable disease control reporting requirements.
● Provide daily drop-in health service:
○ Interpret the health status of students to parents and school personnel
○ Initiate referrals to parents, school personnel and community health resources for intervention, remediation, and follow-up
○ Provide ongoing health counseling with students, parents, school personnel, and outside health agencies
○ Administer student medications per provider orders and maintain associated medication records.
○ Use onsite health resources to provide appropriate care for students
● Plan and use school health management protocols for children with chronic health problems, including the administration of medication.
● Plan and collaborate accordingly for field trips in regard to student medical needs.
● Assist in the development, maintenance and implementation of the the school health management protocols, including but not limited to:
○ Emergency procedures for acute medical emergencies
○ Concussion protocols
○ Student and staff health policies
○ COVID-19 management
● Effectively collaborate with the Administration to promote & prioritize health, hygiene and safety through the COVID-19 pandemic, including but not limited to creating and adapting school policies and plans, serving on any associated task forces.
● Promote the control of communicable diseases through preventive immunization programs, early detection, surveillance, and reporting of contagious diseases.
● Engage in research and evaluation of school health services in order to improve the school health programs and nursing practices, as well as to ensure compliance with all relevant state and local health requirements.
● Collaborate with the food services team in regard to all student allergies.
● Maintain appropriate supplies and equipment for the school infirmary.
● Participate as a member of the guidance team in each division.
To apply, interested candidates must submit a completed Friends Seminary Employment Application, a Cover Letter, Resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When submitting required documents, kindly reference in the subject line: your first and last name, the position you are applying for and where you heard about the position. You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application online. Kindly submit your information only once per school year. No phone calls, please.
Friends Seminary actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion in all programs and operations, including admissions, financial aid, and hiring. To form a community which strives to reflect the world’s diversity, we do not discriminate on the basis of race or color, religion, nationality, ethnicity, economic background, physical ability, sex, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. Friends Seminary is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of color and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. We urge all applicants to identify and express their individuality and the ways in which they might enrich and diversify the school community.
● Preferred experience as a School Nurse.
● Basic computer systems knowledge, including use of the Magnus Health electronic health record system.
● Outstanding professional integrity, including the ability to maintain confidentiality.
● Excellent organizational skills, including accuracy in multi-tasking situations.
● Ability to communicate clearly and compassionately with students, parents, and colleagues.
Education & Qualifications
● R.N. or Advanced Nursing Degree
● Registered Nurse in New York State (Current Licensure)
● Currently BLS Provider certified
New York, New York , 10003
Jun 9th, 2020