This job description is not to be construed as a complete listing of the duties and responsibilities that may be given to any employee. The duties and responsibilities outlined in this position may be added to or changed when deemed appropriate and necessary by the person who is managerially responsible for this position.
Summary: Provides professional nursing care to patients within assigned areas utilizing the nursing process to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patients.
Key Job Responsibilities:
1.Provides nursing care according to medical regimen and the nursing interventions appropriate for the patients' conditions and according to established standards, policies and procedures including care of the ambulatory practice patient.
•Initiates assessment based on the patient's presenting problems or needs, the physician's medical diagnosis and the functional health framework upon visit.
•Collects key information from patient, family, laboratory, and other medical reports. Ensures that all consents necessary for treatment/procedure have been signed and that all prescribed identification procedures have been carried out.
• Determines nursing diagnosis and priorities for care with special consideration given to patient teaching, discharge planning, and the growth and development needs of the patient.
• Determines which standards of care and practice apply to the patient.
• Documents assessment, including nursing diagnoses or other clinical judgments.
• Demonstrates knowledge, technical, interpersonal and critical thinking skills to provide care, manage clinical competency and meet age-specific patient needs within the unit.
2. Completes ongoing assessments according to outpatient and nursing policy and/or as determined by patient condition:
• re-prioritizes care based on new information,
• continues to update nursing diagnoses, and
• involves family and/or other significant individuals in assessment activities.
3. Assesses, plans and implements care of assigned patients. Performs therapeutic nursing interventions:
• as ordered by the Physician
• consistent with primary and population-specific standards of care and practice
• with consideration given to knowledge gained from the initial and ongoing assessment of the patient
• consistent with nursing division policies and procedures, demonstrated competencies, and with consideration given to risk management, infection control practices and patient safety practices
• consistent with the nature of the unit:
? completion of history and physical assessment
? administration of medication, treatments and immunizations
? prepares patient for examination/procedures; positions and drapes patients
? pain control interventions
? provides assistance during examination/procedures
? monitors patient responses during treatment/procedure (checks temperature, pulse, blood pressure and respiration)
? initiates corrective action whenever information from monitoring or life support equipment shows adverse symptomatology such as respiratory or cardiac insufficiency
? coordinate patient referrals
? patient education
4. Documents care based on standards of care and practice and/or clinical priorities for documentation including:
? assessment and ongoing assessment findings
? updated clinical priorities for documentation
? therapeutic nursing interventions with special attention to patient education
? patient's response to interventions and progress towards outcomes are noted
5. Responds and/or participates with medical emergencies. Initiates and/or assists with CPR/BLS as required.
6. Provides teaching to patient/family in the care of disease/condition. Develops and implements patient teaching outlines including objectives, content, teaching strategies and evaluation of patient progress.
7. Maintains patient medical records; documents patient status and care given; performs charting duties; records activities and observations. Utilizes patient computer systems to enter and retrieve data.
8. Confers and works collaboratively with patient/family/hospital staff regarding all aspects of patient needs in a customer responsive and courteous manner, in compliance with iRESPECT Standards and promoting patient/customer satisfaction.
9. Provides instruction, assigns and supervises LPN and other support personnel assigned to unit to complete the initial and ongoing assessments of patients and to provide clinical assistance as needed. Assists in the orientation and oversee the supervision of new staff members and students when they provide patient care, treatment, and services as part of their training.
10. Transports monitored patients, specimens, equipment and supplies to and from various areas.
11. Collaborates with forensic team and security to provide safe environment for patients in custody.
12. Completes required continuous training and education, including department specific requirements.
• Attends staff meetings, all mandatory in-services, and additional continuing education as required.
• Contributes to the annual review of unit-based scope statement and determination of important aspects of care for clinical review.
• Assists in the development of indicators, thresholds, study methods, and data collection as assigned.
• Responds to problems/opportunities to improve care.
• Supports and is involved in the organization’s performance improvement initiatives.
• Participates in and maintains competencies required for the position.
13. Maintains a clean, orderly, safe environment for patients and personnel. Adheres to established policies, compliance/quality improvement, and safety, environment and infection control standards.
14. Prepares and maintains required records, reports and files for administrative and compliance purposes.
15. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
16. Performs other duties as required.
• Ability and willingness to apply nursing knowledge and skills and maintain clinical competency as required in assigned area.
• Demonstrated skill in the use of applicable equipment; mature judgment and initiative required; is able to work without direct supervision; shows professional interest through self-development, continuing education, and involvement in professional organizations; presents a positive attitude and professional appearance.
• Ability to give and follow written and oral instructions.
• Ability to communicate effectively with others.
• Ability to react and perform under stress in emergency situations
• Ability to effectively record and reflect observations.
• Ability to plan and organize work for self and others.
• Ability to exercise analytical judgment on work to be done.
Supervision Provided by this Job:
• There are no lead or supervisory responsibilities associated with this role.
• Prolonged standing and walking; lifting, turning patients and equipment; repeated bending, squatting and stooping; exposure to infectious agents. Visual acuity is needed to assess color changes, to verify accuracy of written materials, and to administer and accurately prepare medications. Heavy Work - Exerting up to 150 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 75 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 30 pounds of force constantly to move objects. (May be further defined as "with or without assistance.")
Education Requirement: Qualified by education, training or experience to work with the school age, adolescent, adult and/or geriatric patient population as specialty assignment dictates. BSN preferred.
Experience Requirement: Experience in caring for patients in an inpatient setting.
Licensure/Certification Requirement: Registered Nurse licensure to work in state of TN. Current BLS certification required.
Memphis, Tennessee , 38103
Aug 31st, 2021