The 2 North Telemetry Technician is under the supervision of a licensed professional. They are responsible for monitoring patients on cardiac telemetry monitoring and continuously watch and records changes in rhythm. Maintains and records all activities for the shift. Performs 12 lead EKG's. On-going communication with physician and patient care providers. The telemetry tech is responsible for cleaning the telemetry monitoring equipment with the appropriate disinfectant per hospital policy and reporting any maintenance issues. They are also responsible for ordering supplies related to cardiac telemetry monitoring.
CUSTOMER FOCUS -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
COMMUNICATES EFFECTIVELY -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
DECISION QUALITY -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
COLLABORATES -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
NIMBLE LEARNING -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
DEMONSTRATES SELF-AWARENESS -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
GOALS -- Completes quarterly goals
DELIVERING THE MISSION -- Performs duties as defined in this job description and demonstrates mastery of role
1. INITIATES TELEMETRY MONITORING AS ORDERED BY PHYSICIAN
· VERIFIES CORRECT PATIENT BY USING 2 IDENTIFIERS; I.E. HOSPITAL IDENTIFICATION ARMBAND AND DATE OF BIRTH.
· USES CORRECT TECHNIQUE TO PREPARE THE SKIN, ATTACHES PATIENT ELECTRODES ACCORDING TO POLICY AND ESTABLISHES MONITORING
· VERIFIES TRANSMISSION AND RECEPTION
· WITHIN 15 MINUTES OBTAINS A BASELINE STRIP FOR THE RN TO INTERPRET
· POSTS THE EKG STRIP IN THE PATIENTS CHART
· SETS HIGH, LOW AND ARRHYTHMIA ALARMS ACCORDING TO POLICY
2. MAINTAINS CONTINUOUS MONITORING
· POSTS A MINIMUM OF 1 STRIP IN PATIENTS CHART EVERY 8 HOURS
· DEMONSTRATES KNOWLEDGE OF BASIC RHYTHM IDENTIFICATION AND ALERTS RN OF ANY CHANGES IN PATTERN, RATE AND ARRHYTHMIAS
· CHANGES ELECTRODES AS NEEDED. ROTATES SITES A MINIMUM OF EVERY 48 HOURS
· IF ARTIFACT OCCURS OR ELECTRODES LOSE CONTACT ENSURES THAT MONITORING IS REESTABLISHED IMMEDIATELY.
· REPLACES BATTERIES AS NEEDED, MAINTAINING AN ADEQUATE PAR LEVEL
· ENSURES THAT THE MONITORING CENTRAL STATION IS NEVER LEFT WITHOUT QUALIFIED PERSONNEL IN ATTENDANCE.
3. MAINTAINS TELEMETRY MONITORING AT REMOTE SITE
· ESTABLISHES AND MONITORS PATIENTS IN OTHER LOCATIONS AS NOTED IN COMPETENCY NUMBER 1
· NOTIFIES NURSING STAFF ON REMOTE UNITS OF ANY RHYTHM CHANGES OR TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS.
· FOLLOWS UP WITH NURSING STAFF TO ENSURE THAT RECEPTION IS REESTABLISHED TO ENSURE PATIENT SAFETY
· NOTIFIES THE SUPERVISOR IF NO RESPONSE FROM REMOTE SITE STAFF IF MONITORING NOT REESTABLISHED
· AT THE END OF EACH 8 HOUR SHIFT THE TECH POSTS THE TELEMETRY STRIPS ON THE APPROPRIATE CHARTS ON THE REMOTE UNITS
4. MAINTAINS EQUIPMENT
· DISPOSES OF ELECTRODES AND POUCHES IN RED BAGS
· REMOVES BATTERIES, TESTS AND DISPOSES OF ACCORDING TO POLICY IF NEEDED
· CLEANS LEAD WIRES AND TRANSMITTER ACCORDING TO POLICY
· MAINTAINS SUPPLIES IN SUPPLY TRAY
· HANDLES TRANSMITTERS THAT HAVE BEEN ON ISOLATION PATIENTS ACCORDING TO POLICY