EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing.
2. Two (2) years of experience in a health care delivery system is required, including experience working with Geri Psych/Rehab patients.
3. Current Licensure by the Nevada State Board of Nursing.
4. Current CPR (basic life support) Certification.
5. Capable both physically and mentally for close work with elderly patients, their families, nursing and medical staff. Understands the potential for injury in working in a psychiatric unit.
6. Understands the need for confidentiality of information gained while performing the job.
7. Performs other reasonable related duties as assigned by immediate Supervisor and other management as required.
GENERAL PURPOSE: The Registered Nurse in Geri Psych Unit coordinates patient care services as directed. Measures, evaluates, administers and documents patient care. Contributes to patient care plans and informs the Chief Nursing Officer or House Supervisor, when appropriate. Provides direction and assigns duties to CNA’s and LPN’s in accordance with their skills and abilities. Actively responds to patient, physician and family requests. Advocates and ensures Patient Rights are upheld.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Coordinates medication and treatment management, direct patient care, such as bathing, dressing, and feeding patients, and assisting in examinations and treatments. Develops individualize treatment plans, patient/family education, leads groups, and assists with discharge planning. Demonstrates techniques in diffusing and deescalating aggressive patients and attends Secure training within 3 months of hire. Assists with seclusion and or restraints as required. Ability to lift, walk, carry and stand. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are represented of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Works with the physician and other medical staff to assess the condition of the patient, devise an individual healthcare plan, and see that it is implemented. Completes inquiry form for all patients admitted or not admitted in a timely manner and responds to referral source timely.
2. Keeps records, documenting an assessment of the patient’s condition, amount, route and times of medication, vital signs and treatments, as well as any unusual change in condition. Develop and implement patient treatment plan and updates treatment plans daily. Informs patients and family of treatment plan and goals.
3. Ability to organize and prioritize work to maintain harmonious daily workflow. Participates in unit meetings and unit councils. Employee continually strive to make productive use of time through careful coordination of daily tasks, setting priorities, and reducing non-essential interruptions in order to complete the job during the allocated time.
4. Educates patients/significant other/family in disease process and documentation of all patient/significant other/family education.
5. Understands validation techniques with patients who have diagnosis of dementia.
6. Monitors the care delivered by the Certified Nursing Assistant, as they assist patients with such basic needs as dressing, eating and bathing, and encourages patient to do things for themselves to retain feelings of independence and self-esteem.
7. Is in compliance with the State of Nevada’s Nurse Practice Act, hospital policies and rules/regulations.
8. Check, pour, administer and chart medications at appropriate times, monitor effects and side effects. Educates patients on medications and new medications. Follows hospital policy on medication administration and control substances.
9. Administer all routes of medications per Nevada State Board of Nursing criteria for own assigned patients, and as required, the LPN. Monitors results of treatments and progress toward expected outcomes.
10. Administer and record treatment as ordered. Understands and carries out all Safety Precautions on unit as Suicide, Elopement, Fall and others as ordered.
11. Admit, transfer and discharge patients as required. Oversees the LPN admission process.
12. Plan assignments for staff based on skill levels. Informs staff of patients needs in daily huddle and as needed.
13. Makes hourly rounds on patients or more frequent as needed to ensure safety, perform assessments, reporting significant changes to the Nurse Manager or physician. Assists in completing 15 minutes safety checks as needed.
14. Documents periodic assessment and changes in patient outcomes in a timely manner. Monitors the completion of all documentation.
15. Attends patient staffing and assumes responsibility for communication of treatment goals to pertinent staff members.
16. Assures that Patient Rights are upheld. Ensures patient dignity and respects patient values.
17. Ongoing Monitoring of environment for safety and reports all unsafe deficiencies to appropriate personnel and initiates work order for repair. Completes environmental safety rounds as assigned.
18. Assures that Lab, x-rays, etc. are completed and notifies attending physician of abnormal results.
19. Participate in and satisfactorily complete the Orientation Program and Annual Review Days. Complete annual Unit competencies and annual Secure recertification.
20. Completes CQI + +timely and accurate submission of CQI+ outcome data on a weekly basis including responsiveness to weekly feedback.
21. Attend in-services and meetings as required.
22. Pursuit of thirty (30) contact hours of continuous education as required by the State of Nevada for re-licensure.
23. Report deviations in quality of care to Nurse Manager as outlined by current nursing standards.
24. Actively participate in ongoing Quality Improvement activities.
25. Maintains working knowledge of hospital-wide Order Entry.
26. Understands the side effects of anti-psychotic medications and observes for side effects and reports to physician. Able to complete AIMS test on patients as ordered.
27. Demonstrates the ability to work in conjunction with the team to safely and effectively contain and/or restrains patient who becomes assaultive and out of control.
28. Orients new employees as assigned.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
1. Demonstrates good skills in all forms of communication. Works well with others in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation.
2. Accepts and acts upon constructive criticism.
3. Interacts and communicates with others in a way that promotes a positive and cooperative work environment.
4. Demonstrates initiative and enthusiasm in performing job duties.
5. Willingness to adjust personal schedule in case of workload fluctuations or other departmental needs.
6. Channels concerns appropriately.
7. Fosters sense of teamwork and collaboration within the department and Hospital.
8. Provides input, suggestions, and support appropriately.
9. Maintains composure and professionalism during difficult situations.
Boulder City, Colorado , 89005
$3,715/ gross week 36 hours
Analytics Med Staff
Sep 23rd, 2021